Sunday, September 7, 2008

Transitioning.

Okay, so I just want to make this very clear. I know that this first post is going to look INSANELY boring. I've wanted to post on here several times now, but we don't really have the internet here at our apartment complex.

On my second day here I discovered that if I sat in a very specific spot on one of our couches, then I could mooch off of an unsecured network. If my laptop moves so much as an inch, then the signal drops, and the connection speed is horrible at best, but it's the best we can do for now. Fortunately, we have a neighbor who is going to let us in on his network, but he's outta town for the weekend, so once we get that going - and once my desktop computer arrives, we'll be able to get some real posts rolling.

So for now, I guess I'll just have to give you a brief outline as to how my first week in DC has gone down, with much better posts to follow.

A week ago at this time, I sat in my new bedroom, completely lost with no idea as to how on earth the next 4 months were going to unravel. What a difference a week makes...

And what a week it's been at that. One of those weeks where it went by insanely fast, but it was so full of events it felt like it couldn't have only been 7 days. I'd love to go through day by day, and event by event, but I know that there are going to be pictures on the way as early as tomorrow, and there's some pictures of a walk through downtown DC in the pouring rain that would do more justice to that story than any words I could type.

So last Monday morning at like 4 or 5 AM, we got up and drove on out to the airport.
(apologies to anyone who was hoping that this picture of them wouldn't be posted on here, you all look great to me... Oh and Jake was there too, but he refused to be photographed.)

The flight out was nothing special, I had quite the time trying to get both suitcases to an acceptable weight, and I had to help my cab driver from the airport navigate a part of Washington I'd never been to before, but eventually I found myself at my new home.
Ah the view from our balcony... So... Um.... Yeah, we have a balcony.

I met my roommates, both extremely nice dudes. I met the rest of the interns, some pretty awesome peoples. I made my first of several trips to the sports pub for some burgers and good times. I slept with no bedding, and I woke up the next morning with a sore throat. Just as I expected, it turned into a full blown cold that I'm just now getting over...

I spent Tuesday buying bedding, and trying to get somewhat situated. So by the time Wednesday finally came around, I was pretty much good to go. I got to start the first day of my internship off sick as a dog, which was no fun at all, but all-in-all, it was a pretty good week. I'm starting to get the hang of the whole internship thing, the 5 of us in Senator Bennett's office were each assigned with different offices and staffers. I got put in the office to help out with the guys who basically oversee all issues related to taxes and foreign affairs (and any other issues that would fall under the umbrella of those topics). Unsurprisingly to many of you, I'm sure, I was quite stoked when I found out I'd be in the office with the foreign affairs staffer, and while it remains to be seen if that actually pans out into something as exciting as I'd hope, I still find it pretty fun.

So we spent pretty much every night going out and making some sort of adventure, most of the times it ended up being the pub, but we also made several trips into the district for trips to museums or just pure adventure.

For first weeks, it was a good one, and now with a better handle on things, the senate being in session, and a stupid cold looking to be pretty much behind me -- next week should contain much more excitement and better posts.
(not a guarantee)

12 comments:

Karli said...

Yes! Finally! It's about time you did a blog post. I can't wait for more! Sounds like you are having fun! We miss you!

Patrick Davies said...

Glad to here things are going well. Keep the posts coming. We love them.

Lisa said...

Yea your alive and blogging! Please try and take some pictures (remember you're an Atwood:)
I'm glad the cold is going away! That was incredibly bad timing for someone who hardly ever gets sick!
It was fun to read your post but I am actually glad you haven't been spending time on the computer.
Sounds like you haven't missed it too much:)

bwinn said...

You make the 'Pub' sound so delightful and inviting. Can you make a commercial and put it on YouTube please?

NickWest said...

This post is missing a few things....ha ha ha

TJ said...

I echo the words of you sister, Finally! I have been waiting for a Davies post in DC for the entire week.

Lisa said...

I want to hear nick west's version! :)

Justin said...

Mom, I'm pretty sure you don't.. Trust me on that one. ;)

Lisa said...

I'm pretty sure I do! ;) ;)

Andrew said...

That took too long. We all need our Davies fix at least once a week.

SqUiRt said...

I'm so excited to live vicariously through you! DC and all seems incredible! You'll have to let me know if you have any run-in's with our good friend Famanda!
PS I'm curious to hear this "nickwest" version too!

Unknown said...

I want to be out of Utah in a new and politically exciting place ..even in the pouring rain... wish I was there.. savor every moment of it!