Thursday, October 23, 2008

On Top of the Dome and Lookin Down on Creation.

On of the most elusive tours in Washington DC is known as "The Dome Tour" - On paper, it doesn't sound like anything terribly unusual or extreme, it's pretty much just a tour up into the top of the Dome of the Capitol Building, yes it's pretty up there, and the view is FANTASTIC, but what makes it so elusive is the fact that in order to get one you have to have a member of the House or Senate take you. As you may imagine, this is no simple task... I've been crossing my fingers that I would somehow stumble into a Dome Tour in my time here, and it just so happens that I did just that this week.

Saturday we were running around town, and in the course of our adventures we ran into Congressman Chris Cannon and his son. With Intern Dave working with Congressman Cannon's son, and Lauren working in Cannon's office, I guess Dave felt comfortable enough just asking the Congressman directly for a Dome tour - Bless Dave and his bluntness, cuz it scored us a tour.

Tuesday a handful of us met in Cannon's office (you're only allowed to take like 6 or 7 people), and up we went. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Our Tour Guide... She was in a big hurry.


Just getting started going up the dome.


Lauren and I switched cameras, I started to get impatient with her (as evidenced by my face) when she started using my camera to take pictures like the one below

Will's butt.. Courtesy of Lauren Barksdale.


The Apotheosis of George Washington





Looking down into the rotunda



The view.


Dave, Me, Lauren at the top.




That's just the Supreme Court and Library of Congress back there...


4 comments:

Patrick Davies said...

very cool Justin. What a great opportunity. Wish I could have been there.

Lisa said...

Don't you just love a great view....and I'm not talking about Will's butt!!

Karli said...

Nice pictures! I wish we could come out to DC!

SqUiRt said...

Wow! That's incredible!