Saturday, October 11, 2008

Walking Softly

Yeah, I've been a TERRIBLE blogger since I've come out to DC, I know... Lots of it has to do with the fact that I normally don't have the internet on weekends, and that's when I usually have a little spare time to do toss a post up here -- not to mention the fact that I've been absolutely horrible at taking pictures of the things I go and do...

So there you have it, my excuse for the complete and total lack of blog activity.

Aaaaaaaaaanyways... Today was absolutely GORGEOUS outside, with many of the interns out doing all sorts of different things, I figured that I'd go off and do my own thing to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather. Lucky for me, I'd been wanting to go check out Theodore Roosevelt Island, my roommate wanted to go visit some museums and such, so I snagged my book and hopped on the metro for a solo adventure.

I snagged a Metro to just north of Arlington Cemetary, wandered around Rosslyn until I finally found somewhere to grab a quick bite of lunch, then made my way over to the Patomic. Soon enough, I found my way to the bridge over to the island. It was pretty cool over there, there was a little monument area to Theodore Roosevelt, and the rest of the island was just natural park land. I wandered around the forested island for awhile, cut off the path to find good views of Georgetown on the other side of the river, sat and read for awhile, and explored some more. It was quite a bit of walking, but a pretty nice little Saturday adventure.


Part of the Roosevelt Memorial


Teddy about to to a cartwheel.


A poor attempt at trying to actually get a picture of myself on this little trip.


Then I was able to get someone to snap a picture for me. The castle looking building behind me is Georgetown University.


Nice view from the north end of the island.


On the bridge.


All in all -- A good Saturday trip.

4 comments:

Patrick Davies said...

Very cool Justin. I need to add this to my list of places to visit. I especially want to see the statue of Teddy preparing to do a cartwheel!!!
I wish the weather would have stayed nice out here for a couple more weeks.

Karli said...

YAY! A blog post and pictures! too good to be true! That place is b-e-a-u-tiful

Lisa said...

Dont you love how conveinent nice weather is! Looks like you had another beautiful Saturday. Enjoy them while you can....we woke up to a couple of inches of snow this morning.....blahhh Me no likey October Snow:(

Karli said...

how funny would it have been if you would have fallen off of that log and into into the water.